The British Army, between 1801 and 1802, constructed two hospital buildings, approximately 25’ x 50’. One of the structures was surrounded by a gallery for convalescents, and the hospital site included a surgery and “other accommodations connected therewith”. London’s Public Record Office houses documents that detail the structures and their construction, which cost approximately $4,244. The hospital area is located several hundred yards north of Cowell’s Battery, but has not yet been cleared. Only foundation walls remain.
The hospital complex was likely to have been used often, as the British lost more than ten times as many troops in the West Indies to malaria, yellow fever, and the effects of alcoholism than were ever killed in combat during the conflict on the islands.