Brondsted & Co. Wharf — View Map
With shipping and coal industries flourishing in St. Thomas, the Danish Brondsted & Company began an enterprise to service the vessels and crews entering the harbor along their trade routes. The company rented a plot of land in Careening Cove in 1870 from the Hazzell family, the owner of Estate Orkanshullet. Their location was across the cove from the land that would be the Hamburg America Line hub one year later. The company built a wharf and stored supplies, coal and water for their customers in a warehouse and cistern on the site.